Monday, February 25, 2013

21

Hello everyone!  So the main thing that has happened to me in the past week was my birthday, whoohoo!  I turned 21 on Friday, but I’ll get to that later on in this post, first I’ll mention my day today.  I had class and then went to two museums in Oslo that are right next to each other: the Fram Museum and Kon-Tiki Museum.  Both are about exploration with boats.  The Fram centers on the arctic excursions of Norwegians over several years in the ship called (obviously) the Fram.  The other, the Kon-Tiki, focuses on the journey in 1947 by Thor Heyerdahl and a small crew in a raft constructed to address Heyerdahl’s hypothesis that people from South America could have settled Polynesia in pre Columbian times.  His aim in the expedition was to show, by using only the materials and technologies available to those people at the time, that there were no technical reasons to prevent them from having done so.  As you may or may not have noticed with last night’s Oscars, the new feature version of Kon-Tiki was up for Best Foreign Film.  Unfortunately I wasn’t able to watch the Academy Awards because I couldn’t live stream with the time difference and the video files of it now are only available in the US.  Quite a bummer, but oh well.  On to my full week, birthday included!

Tuesday:  I went on a field seminar with HECUA to Civita, a Norwegian economic think tank.  We went to go learn about their perspective on Norwegian spending and the welfare state, and it was a conservative view at that.  Educational nonetheless, biases make for more learning.  After that visit, I had dinner with my boss from Queer Youth along with two of her friends and girlfriend at her apartment.  I had a great time with everyone sipping champagne, red wine, and eating the traditional Norwegian meal my boss had prepared for us meat eaters, aka reindeer.  It was quite good!  Sorry Rudolph…

Wednesday:  My midweek work day times two this time: I had an intern shift at QY helping Ashild (my boss) with organizing the office and also had a shift at Uglebo.  This was the first time I had worked at the student pub on a Wednesday (I’d only done Fridays before) and that meant bartending Quiz Night.  The quiz night produced a packed bar but a calmer one as well.  As usual, Uglebo was fun and I cashed in for a couple beers for the after party.

Thursday:  I got home around 3:00 in the morning due to the after party and slept for only about three hours because I had a Skype date with my gal pals Felicia and Kathleen in SF at 7:00am my time, 10:00pm PST.  After chatting for a half hour or so, I went back to bed for two hours then dragged myself to class.  This was a difficult day to get through and after class I worked hard to finish I paper I had due the next day.  I wanted to be done with my essay before midnight so I wouldn’t be writing it anymore on my birthday.  I finished around 11:45pm, booyah.

Friday:  BIRTHDAY!  Turning 21 doesn’t hold as much weight in Norway as it does in America, but I knew that coming into this semester.  The drinking age here is threefold: you can buy anything from a grocery store that’s alcoholic and go to student pubs when you’re 18 (so primarily beer), at 20 you can buy hard liquor and have mixed drinks, which means you can go to the majority of bars, and lastly (and most disappointingly) some places are surprising 23 and older.  I was turned away from a bar my first weekend in Oslo for not being 23, which I didn’t expect.  But I think it’s up to each bar whom they want to serve so there’s the third age characteristic in Norway.  

Anyways, I woke up and my friend Many made me crepes for breakfast, yum.  Then I went shopping on Karl Johans gate right off of downtown (refer to pics from a previous entry).  After doing some spending, I went back to my apartment to prep for a party in the evening I was hosting.  When I got home, my lovely roomies had decorated the kitchen with balloons, had a cake in the oven, and presented me with a card!  I sure lucked out with my flat mates, as I’ve written in prior posts.  Love those guys <3  So I had a party in my apartment and that story will remain a 21st birthday mystery =)

Saturday:  Had a pretty lazy Saturday, then went to a party (another birthday actually) in a building close to mine in the same student village and after a little while we all headed to Amatøren.  As I’ve mentioned, this is the student pub in the student village (Sogn) but it’s not usually open on Saturdays.  This night was different because it was Latin Dance Party Night.  The bar pretty full by the time we got there and when I left about an hour and a half later it was packed.  I had a good time.  Who would have thought I’d been doing the Macarena or dancing to Mamba Number 5 in Oslo?

Sunday:  This was an indoor day mostly at my computer.  I caught up on some work and watched some online TV, which I hadn’t done in a while lol.  I did pick myself to go out to Amatøren for a second night in a row because Sundays are movie nights.  And last night the pub screened Skyfall, which I loved in theaters.  Watch it if you have or haven’t, I highly recommend it.  Viewing the latest Bond on a good sized projector screen was a nice way to end another great week in Norway.  And now I’m 21.  Time flies!

Only a few photos this week, sorry folks!

  
Delicious!

I love my roomies: Nini, Claudia, and Davide

No comments:

Post a Comment